Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Blessings in my life....or What I have to be thankful for

It's been a really great few months for my family and I. I have much to be thankful for. In these rough economic times, money is tight everywhere and it seems like my family, along with many others across the nation, has had to cut corners in order to adjust to the rising costs of living (i.e. gas and food).

I am thankful that my husband found a super job that enables us to live in a nice apartment and have food and our bills paid. I am thankful that I have a healthy, beautiful son who teaches me about life and how wonderful it can be every single day. I am thankful that my health is good and I am making steps towards being a healthier person.
I was in Walmart yesterday, picking up ingredients for lasagna, which is a favorite in my family. I had not bought eggs for a while, since the price increases went into effect in most supermarkets. I was really surprised that my dozen Grade A store-brand eggs were $1.67. I remember not too long ago at Kroger they were 1.00 for a dozen.

I have a son, a toddler. As most toddlers go, he has days where he is very picky about what he will eat. One week he loves spaghetti-o's with meatballs, the next week he is shaking his head and spitting at the bowl and spoon in front of him. We try to feed him what he will eat, because I think that its better for him to get the same thing every day if that is what he wants, rather than him going hungry.

We have adopted some earth-and-wallet-friendly tactics to help deal with the current situation across the nation. For starters, when I make food now, I serve it, and what is left goes immediately into Tupperware or the like and into the fridge. We cannot afford to waste food, and it makes me feel like an awful person when I throw away food. It didn't use to, I used to not give it a second thought. We recycle, for the most part. I am mindful of lights that are left on, and I try to leave my computer off at night. We work from home, so our laptops need to be on all night for work-related stuff. We now group our errands into clumps, so that we do not have to go out everyday. We try to limit our gas consumption, and I feel blessed that our car is not a gas hog, despite the fact that it is a Ford Crown Victoria, a larger car than most on the road today, save for SUVs.

What money-saving things do you do in this economic time? Do you have any stories or tips? Feel free to leave a comment--I'm interested in hearing what other people are doing regarding food and fuel consumption/conservation.

No comments:

Post a Comment