Saturday, June 28, 2008

New Yarn!!!! Charity updates....



Ok...upon following a tip from Ravelry I decided to check out my local Hobby Lobby to see if they had the new Red Heart sock yarn Heart and Sole in stock. I read on the Ravelry site that certain Hobby Lobby stores recieved a teaser shipment of one ball of each colorway of the new sock yarn. Sure enough, when I got there, I found 7 skeins, one in each color. I also found 4 balls of Sock Ease, the new sock yarn from Lion Brand. I'm completely unable to resist sock yarn, so I bought one skein of Rock Candy ( Sock-Ease), as well as 2 skeins of Heart and Sole, each in a different colorway. I figure that they will be crazy non-matching house socks for me, or each will become a pair of socks for my son.


Another reason I was pretty excited about these yarns is that each is infused with Aloe Vera, which is really nice when your feet are in the socks, and it keeps your hands smooth when working with the yarn. These yarns are from "big box" yarn companies, traditionally makers of acrylic yarn, which knitters love to hate. I think this means that knitting socks is finally going mainstream, which is awesome. A more expensive sock yarn that has aloe and jojoba in it is Austermann Step.


The closest LYS to my apartment is Knitter's Mercantile in Columbus, OH. It's a 30 minute drive on a day with minimal traffic. The Hobby Lobby is 10 minutes away from me. It makes more sense with today's gas prices to go to the store closest to me. Once I get around to using the yarn, which should hopefully be soon, I will post on how it feels/works up, etc.




I've been working on my next charity package for Touching Little Lives. I've made some hats and am working on finishing the blanket. It makes me feel really good that little babies are going to be warmed and comforted by what I am creating with sticks and string.

1 comment:

  1. I'm curious if you've tried the yarn yet...the Red Heart Heart & Sole with Aloe and the Sock-ease witih Aloe. Thanks

    ReplyDelete