Saturday, September 13, 2008

Wow! I haven't posted in about a week...seems like forever

I just realized I haven't posted in a little bit! I've been up to my ears (literally) in parenting, working, cleaning up our home, and knitting. I'm working on quite a few pairs of socks--the exact amount is on my Ravelry projects page. I'm Sturgillsusan on there. I am making a pair for my husband's birthday, in Knitpicks Essential sock yarn. I think this is an excellent basic yarn--it is really squishy and the striping has been pretty and even so far. More later on how it holds up in the laundry--his birthday is on September 29th, so I'm hoping that the socks are done by then!

I'm finishing up the first batch of Warm Woolies socks-they look really nice and feel super warm! It makes me feel good to know that a child in another country will have a warm pair of socks to comfort them and keep them warm.

My Noro Kureyon socks are coming along...I had to switch from bamboo to metal dpns because the yarn sticking to the bamboo was driving me nuts! I like the striping of the yarn, and am hoping that the yarn will soften with the first wash. Once I knit up the Silk Garden Sock, it will be interesting to make comparisons about the two yarns. I have heard that the Silk Garden Sock leans more towards being a sport-weight, while the Kureyon Sock is a fingering weight for sure.

Several of my readers have emailed me and asked if I had used either Lion Brand Sock-Ease or Red Heart Heart and Sole sock yarns yet, and the answer is yes! I have knit up a little of the Red Heart sock yarn, and though I really like the fact that big box stores will carry sock yarn now, I don't think I will be going out of my way to get this yarn again. I can't really get the aloe-y goodness like in Austermann Step, or even the Lion Brand Sock-Ease. The Red Heart just feels rougher to me while I am knitting with it. It is possible that the aloe inside will be unleashed during the laundry process, but we will have to see about that. The striping of the yarn is nice, albeit uneven. It irks me that Hobby Lobby only stocks a couple of colorways at once, and one ball of each at a time! For my socks, I have 4 different colorways, so the socks will not be matchy-matching. I guess I could order it offline and get matching socks, but there are other sock yarns I want to try!

I'm really looking forward to starting my own sweater and finishing up my son's star sweater. I cast on for a baby bolero for my future niece, but haven't really got much done on it yet.

We have a busy next couple of months coming up! Both of my parents want to take their grandson apple picking this fall, so that is the plan in October. Halloween is arriving soon--Charlie will be a superhero--not sure which one. Fall for us is full of birthdays...my husband in September, and my dad and my brother in law in November. My sister, aunt, cousins, and I are all December girls, and hopefully my niece Brianna will be a December baby too!!

1 comment:

  1. i love your blog, visit my blog http://agulhaetricot.blogspot.com/
    Kiss

    ReplyDelete