Monday, February 9, 2009

Shopping the stash...

I have been going through my stash recently and trying to sort through what I've got. I have enough of a stash to last through this recession(hopefully). I'm not a fast knitter, due to the fact that I am the mother of a 2 1/2 year old boy and because I think I am a process knitter--that is, I enjoy the actual process of knitting as much as I enjoy the end result--my finished ____.

Breakdown of my stash:
--Enough sock yarn to knit a pair of socks a month for 2 years.
--Enough wool to knit things for Warm Woolies for about a year.
--Enough worsted acrylic to knit blankets for 200 babies.
--Enough baby-friendly yarn (acrylic) to knit 500 hats for newborns and preemies.
--Enough ends and leftovers to knit gloves, mittens, ornaments, and socks for my son for 2 years.
--Enough cotton to knit a dishcloth a day for a year.
--3 pounds of yarn for sweaters.

I'm in the mood for frugality these days, mostly because I am ever mindful of bills, but also because I prefer my leftover money to be with me, not wanting to spend it on just anything. And I'm not saying that yarn is "just anything." I just feel like I have enough of it for now...and I've seen a lot of things that I may want in a couple months, just not right now.

Which brings up...the space issue. We live in a 2-bedroom apartment, which is fine for us right now. My hubby is an avid comic book collector (we're both geeks to the extreme) and he has 8 long boxes of comics. They cannot be stacked on each other or stored in the attic in order to keep the comics in pristine condition--no condensation or crushing allowed. They currently reside in our bedroom under the desk and in our son's closet. I have 3 rubbermaid bins full of yarn, an underbed storage bin full of yarn, a white paper bag from my LYS (full of yarn), a Lion Brand knitting bag that I won a couple years ago, and a shelving unit that I bought from a going-out-of-business sale that is going to be full of yarn soon. I really have no more room, hence the stashbusting that is in effect. Once I have used some of what I have up, then I will feel better about getting more yarn. Hmm....hope I have enough room to store my FO's.

1 comment:

  1. Your husband only has 8 boxes in his comic book collection? You two must be young. LOL My husband has about double that and we too live in a two bedroom trailer. We have boxes lined up in the hallway. I really enjoy yarn hobbies too, especially knitting.

    ReplyDelete