Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I hate hate hate breaking a needle...

So I was working on the gusset of my first Monkey sock, trying to figure out why the stitches I was picking up were having a hard time moving on down the bamboo needle I was using. They kept snagging and the yarn was having a splitty time. I took a closer look, even though the sock was like 2 inches from my face, and what did I see? my awesome bamboo dpn had split from the needle tip on down and the yarn was snagged on it! I had to do some emergency maneuvering, because I was not going to lose the progress I had made.

Got the stitches to a safe needle, but now I need to buy another set of DPNs--which isn't a bad thing. I have never had this happen to a needle before, but I think it was due to the fact that I tend to press my needle tips harder when doing lacework. Guess these just couldn't hold up forever, though they were my favorites (Plymouth Royal Bamboo DPNs, size 1). Sigh.

4 comments:

  1. Hmm. I have the same concern, will have to inspect my needle more closely. I had to do a lecture to my 3 boys when I bought my first set, it went like this "These are not toothpicks, skewers, back scratchers or fingernail cleaners. Keep your mitts off."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the break. The steel ones look fantastic. I'm not a sock knitter so no suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same thing happen to me! Not the splitty/snaggy part but the snap in half part while working on socks too. I seem to be especially tough on size 2 Brittany DPNs (birch), fortunately I was at the LYS when it happened and they had a spare. Didn't lose stitches either. I am going to try Bamboos next as the Brits and I are having a parting of the ways. Can't wait to see the Monkies when they are done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. O, no, let me give you a virtual hanky to dry your tears. I also get upset when my needles snap. I now use metal for anything under size 2.

    ReplyDelete